As friends get further away and our lives get busier, we want to be able to still share our lives with friends and family

Friday, March 23, 2012

"Sorry about the poo, Grandma"

One day a while back, Luke came home and told me a funny story from one of his jobs. Like most stories, I can't remember all the great details & even if I did, it wouldn't be funny when I retold it, but it cracked me up. Long story short: He went to a home & there was a little boy running around there. He must have just had some sort of poo explosion because he went right up to his grandma and said, matter of factly, "Sorry about the poo, Grandma."

This is now a very common phrase around the Szabo house. It used to be the proverbial "poo" that sometimes happens throughout the day. And now, it is literally all the poo from our kids.


Why do I bring up such a lovely conversation?

Because yesterday we endured ... the stomach flu. Bennett went through 7 sets of clothes, Autumn went through 4 outfits, and I went through 3 (although I wasn't sick).


Just the sheer volume of bodily fluids (use your imagination here) I dealt with, made me so much more appreciative of my parents & all they did for me. We tend to thank people when they go above & beyond what we think they "should" do, but do we thank them for all the day to day stuff they do for us? Do we...thank the cashier for checking our groceries, thank our spouses for making coffee every morning, thank our mail carrier for bringing our mail, thank our students for showing up to class with a pencil.
I know it seems small, but I think we should do this more in our lives.


So, that said, say you are completely potty trained at 2 and 1/2 years old and you go through an average of 8 diapers a day. That is 365+365+182 days (912) times 8 diapers a day. This comes out to 7, 296 diapers. That, my friends, is a lot of pee & poo.

So thank your parents for changing all your diapers. And tell them "sorry about the poo."

1 comment:

  1. AWESOME! I think you should share that with the students your first day back! They would love it....might even make them less sad that Julia's not there...heehee!

    ReplyDelete