As friends get further away and our lives get busier, we want to be able to still share our lives with friends and family

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Visiting the Wiederspans in Colorado

Over Fathers' Day weekend, we flew out to Colorado to visit our dear friends Casey & Melissa. They moved to California about 6 years ago and we became such close friends. They went to our church, were in our growth group for years, & did everything with us: beach days, camping trips, birthday celebrations, rodeos, girl nights, trips to Mex, the list goes on & on! Unfortunately, they moved back to Colorado almost a year ago & we have been itching to get out there to visit. We finally were able to make it happen...we had such a good time!

I apologize for all the pictures...it is a long post! I just couldn't make up my mind what to include & what to leave out. So I put it all in!

At the airport in San Diego

Bennett's first flight! He did great...couldn't sit still for very long, but never got too upset about being confined to a small area. Like normal, he made lots of friends on the flight.

We arrived in Denver & The Wieds picked us up at the airport. We had made plans to go to a Rockies game that evening, so we stayed in Denver & walked around downtown Denver.

We got hot dogs at this little stand outside the game - such a good deal.

Our lovely hosts: Melissa & Casey

Our seats were great & to say the game was exciting would be an understatement. There were so many hits & the Rockies beat the Tigers big time!

Bennett's first hot dog...he loved it!


The next day we headed out & got a late breakfast at Santiago's in a tiny little town nearby. They had delicious breakfast burritos!

Casey & his buddy

Then we headed up to Estes Park which is in the Rocky Mountain National Park. It is so beautiful up there. We saw tons of elk - so cool!


The weather was crazy: first it was sunny & warm, then the wind picked up, then it started to rain, & then it started to lightly snow! What! Luckily we packed multiple layers in the car. For the rest of our stay in CO the weather was so fun (at least for us from mild CA).



We found a sweet hike to go on that didn't have a lot of people. It would rain & then stop, rain & then stop. I love being out in nature...especially only seeing 3 other people the whole 6 miles.

Melissa & I

Bennett dozed during the hike & woke up quite happy - he loves the outdoors.

All the elk being lazy

The next day was Sunday & we went to their church in Fort Collins. Bennett loved the ladies in the nursery. After church we went to the little town of Severance for their famous
Rocky Mountain oysters.
If you don't know what they are - I advise you to "Google it." I had a taste - surprisingly pretty good - but I still ordered chicken fingers!


That night we went on a double date. Casey's wonderful parents watched Bennett while we went out to dinner in Fort Collins. Bennett had such a good time there with his new friends & new toys - he didn't even miss us!

Walking around downtown Fort Collins

We ate at this delicious Brazilian steakhouse.
It is all you can eat salad bar (and I mean fancy salads), appetizers (like these yummy cinnamon fried bananas), and MEAT! Casey & Luke called it a
"carnivore's heaven."
The waiters walk around with skewers of over a dozen different kinds of meat. It was so good - you had to roll us out of there. Plus, Melissa & I got some TASTY beverages!

The last day we were there, Melissa & I had some girl time. We went and got coffee at her favorite coffee shop in Loveland & then did a little shopping. It was so nice to just get some girl time in & TALK!!!

Luke taught Melissa how to play Angry Birds on our iPad...it was a hit!
She was seriously addicted, but getting pretty good, I might add.

Bennett was a trooper the whole trip. We just went and did whatever we wanted & he worked his naps in when he needed them. He slept everywhere:

in the car...

on the hike...

at the Rockies game...

walking around town...

in the car again...

Leaving CO was a sad time...but we know we will be back there soon. We also know that we will be friends with these crazy guys forever. They're stuck with us!

Thanks Wiederspans for a fun trip!
Bennett loves you guys & can't wait to see you again!

3 comments:

  1. LOVE the photos and hearing about the trip! I'm so glad you got so much time together-alone girl time, everyone time, and even a date night the four of you! So special. Those times of renewing friendships and keeping in touch are so needed! Glad you guys made the effort to do it, and so happy to hear Bennett did so great-what a great baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like so much fun and such great pics, and I agree with Jess...Bennett is soo great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK you for coming out to see us...will you come back soon??!? I miss you already!

    ReplyDelete